The Big Chill literally

While watching TV today, a commercial for an upcoming viewing appeared on the screen ------The Big Chill.  I immediately reminisced about how and when I saw the movie.  It was years ago.  Back when there was no Internet and if you wanted a date other than the usual bar or nightclub hookup you subscribed to The Singles Register......a publication where you could post a profile and receive censored responses, usually requesting further correspondence, i.e. telephone call.  I recall calling a respondent and 'hooking up' with him for a cocktail date in Newport Beach.  I can't remember his name, but he was polite and pleasant looking, in a nerdy, bespectacled kind of way.  We had a drink in a darkened jazz club somewhere along the boardwalk, then ended our night with a walk and a kiss to which he said, "not bad, but there's room for improvement."  I'm not sure if he was referring to me or him, because I'd never had any complaints about my kissing techniques.  He called me a few days later asking if I would meet him at, oh I can't remember the name, the theater in Newport Beach.  At this point I was getting a bit leery, since everything was catered to the area he lived near.  I lived probably thirteen or fourteen miles away.  It may not seem a lot, but in California, it IS a lot.  With no other call from him, I arrived at the theater at the suggested time and waited out front.  And waited, and waited, and waited until ten minutes before the movie started.  Since I drove in horrendous traffic, I wasn't about to not see the movie, so I bought a ticket and went in alone.  I don't know if it was because I was by myself, but I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and gave no regard to 'the couples' I saw enjoying the movie together (I'd gone to movies alone before and paid more attention to the couples watching than the movie, feeling sorry for myself). I recall looking at one or two men walking the darkened aisles after the movie started, but quickly dismissed them.  After the movie, I stood for perhaps five minutes out front to see if my date had actually gone inside.  Two days later he called me and claimed he was, in fact, there.  "Did you enjoy the movie?" I asked.  He responded, "Would you like to try again?"  I thought about our 'first kiss' albeit casual.  "I don't think so," I answered.  I guess I gave him The Big Chill.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baxter's Unusual Talent

WHITE TAILORED SHIRTS TUCKED IN

The Case of the Haunted Tunnel