Retarded People

I don't mean to be politically incorrect, but the 'retarded' label is the only title I can think of.  Since I've been retired (about 2 years now), I spend, more than I should, time watching TV, mostly crime type shows.  I'm flabbergasted at the stupidity of some people.  Take for example, the forty-something woman, thrice married who is seeking husband number four, or at the very least a romantic relationship of some sort.  She visits a chat room for 'the lonely heart' and eventually finds a career soldier who is within two days of chatting with her smitten.  He's everything she wants in a mate, kind, attentive, a sole mate in every way.  Other than exchanging photos via this chat room, and by the way, he 'is a catch,' they have never met nor spoken in person.  Red flag.  Within two weeks he has proposed marriage. Red flag.  To my and her friends astonishment she says, "yes."  Now comes the problem.  Her new fiance' must get a 'vacation release' and this release, according to, and I quote, "The Vacation Department."  Red flag.  This, however comes with a price of $250.00.  The love starved fiance' promptly wires the money to the specified address.  Two days later another email.  There's a problem and 'The Vacation Department' needs another $500.00.  Eventually in the course of a month this woman even sells her prized boat to get money to fund her military fiance's 'vacation.'  Needless to say and only with the help of her friends did this woman finally 'see the light.'  She hired a private investigator and learned this was a scam (ya think) perpetrated on the love starved.  I think back to when I was single and desperately wanting someone to love me, but never in my quest did I or would I ever consider sending thousands of dollars to someone I never met in person, let alone spoke with by phone.  Then there's the lonely grandfather or grandmother that receives a phone call from a long lost grandchild who requests money because he or she has gotten into a bit of trouble.  I can't wait for that phone call.  As most of you know, I have no children, so getting a call from a grandchild requesting money would be oh so much fun....for me, that is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baxter's Unusual Talent

WHITE TAILORED SHIRTS TUCKED IN

The Case of the Haunted Tunnel